1.The club will be known as the Yeovil Model Railway Group.
2. The purpose of the Group will be to popularise small scale model railways in the area by:
a) Building a model railway layout or layouts to a variety of agreed scales to the best standards possible within the Group membership;
b) Assisting members with their own modelling;
c) Improving members’ abilities and skills; and
d) Carry out such other activities which, in the opinion of the Committee, will contribute to the above objectives.
3. The following membership options are available.
a) Full Membership which will be open to any person over the age of 25. Subscriptions will be set as an annual rate with no additional charge for attending weekly meetings at the club room. Full members will also have full voting rights and after a 6 month period be eligible for keys to the club room. Family Associate membership will automatically be conferred on any family members residing at the same address. If space allows, full members can request to have private layouts at the club room for an additional fee in agreement with the Committee;
b) Full Membership is also available, on the same terms and conditions as (a) above, at a discounted rate of 50%, for those between 18 and 25 years of age;
c) Associate Membership which will be open to any person over the age of 18. Subscriptions will be set at a reduced annual rate but there will also be a meeting charge due for every time they attend the club room, with the exception of General Meetings;
d) Family Associate Membership which will be open to any person over the age of eighteen, as defined in (a) above. No subscription is payable if visiting the club room with the related Full Member (at the discretion of the Committee);
e) Junior Associate Membership which will be open to anyone from the age of 11 to 18. Those below the age of 15 must be accompanied by a Parent or Guardian whilst at the club room. There will no annual subscription rate but there will be a meeting charge due for every time they attend the club room, with the exception of General Meetings;
All types of Associate membership have no voting rights, are unable to have keys to the club room, and are unable to have private layouts at the club room.
f) Honorary Membership which will be open to any person over the age of 18. This membership will be bestowed on any one recognised by the Committee for past support but will not have voting rights.
4. The Committee shall have the right to refuse or cancel membership with justifiable reason. In the event of a dispute this will be decided by an Extraordinary General Meeting.
5. The Group will be run by a Committee consisting of the Honorary Officers of the Group, and one representative (the “Layout Co-ordinator”) from each active project within the club. This does not include Private Layouts (see Rule 20). Nothing shall prevent the above-mentioned Layout Co-ordinator also being an Honorary Officer;
6. The Honorary Officers shall comprise the following posts: Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and Facilities Manager. These officers must be Full Members of the Group, and they shall be elected at the AGM; they shall retire annually, but shall be eligible for re-election.
a) Duties of the Chairman – Responsible for chairing meetings of the Committee and formally representing the Club to other societies and the public;
b) Duties of the Secretary – Responsible for general Group administration, organising the General Meetings and Committee Meetings, taking official minutes and circulating copies;
c) Duties of the Treasurer – Responsible for keeping the Group’s financial accounts, submitting accounts to the Independent Examiner for approval and circulating approved copies to the membership prior to the AGM; and
d) Duties of the Facilities Manager – Responsible for the upkeep of the club room and holding lead responsibility for liaison with the club room’s landlord;
7. The Committee shall be empowered to co-opt other members of the Group for specific purposes relevant to the Group.
8. Two members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum.
9. An Annual General Meeting, for which four weeks’ notice shall be given, will be called by the Secretary for the 2nd Wednesday of February each year.
10. At an AGM or EGM, six Full Members or 25%, whichever is the lesser, will comprise a quorum.
11. During an AGM all voting shall be by a simple majority ballot. In the event of a tie the Chairman shall have a casting vote.
12. Normal meetings of the Group will be a minimum of once a week unless otherwise decided by the membership. They shall be in the premises of the Group or any other place allotted to carry out the Objectives of the Group.
13. Extraordinary General Meetings are to be called in writing, giving a minimum of one week’s notice, by the Committee, or after a request for such a meeting by 25% of the voting membership.
14. The Group’s Financial Year shall close on the 30th November each year. The Treasurer will present a statement of the previous year’s financial activity at the Annual General Meeting;
a) The Annual Subscription shall be due by the 30th November each year and subscription rates shall be recommended by the Treasurer but determined and set at the AGM; and
b) A proportional rate of subscription will be set for those joining the Group part way through the Financial Year, at the discretion of the Committee.
15. The Group will own the layout(s). The term “layout” is deemed to mean:- baseboards, track work, scenery, wagons, coaches, locomotives, electrical devices (attached to or required to operate the layout) and sundry other items donated to, or paid for by, the Group.
16. On the dissolution of the Group assets will be offered, in the first instance, to a like minded model railway club. Any monies will firstly pay off any outstanding debts and any remaining monies will be equally distributed to appropriate recipients.
17. Members will be free to use their own rolling stock (if suitable) on the layout(s). Due regard for this stock must be made by other members and ownership must be respected.
18. Members are urged to take all reasonable care of Group property. Specifically due to the construction of the clubrooms, both non Electrical Powered live steam and Smoking are not allowed inside or in the immediate vicinity of the clubrooms.
19. Modifications to any Group layout must be sanctioned by the appropriate Layout Co-ordinator before commencement.
20. Subject to the discretion of the Committee, and if space allows, Full Members may site private model railway layouts in the club rooms, on the following conditions:
a) Private Layouts are not owned in any way by the Group and are therefore not classed as an active club project;
b) An appropriate extra subscription is paid, termed “Ground rent”. This amount is to be agreed between the owning member concerned and the Treasurer;
c) A change in membership from Full Member to Associate or Honorary membership will result in the agreement being void;
d) Other members are able to operate the layout, subject to the owner’s permission; and
e) Agreed space is subject to availability and should the Group require the space for group projects, they will take priority.
If the Group has to move clubrooms all agreements will be null and void and previous agreements do not give a right to a new agreement.
ALTERATIONS TO THE RULES
21. These rules shall not be amended except at a duly constituted General Meeting called for the purpose.
22. At any meeting convened for such a purpose only members of three or more years’ standing as Full Members be eligible to vote.