The final push to Telford started last Wednesday when we packed TS up into several stillages and plastic boxes. The 7.5T truck was collected on Thursday evening and was at CS2 just after 17:30. Just as a matter of interest we measured the length of the truck. It was 1 foot shorter than the one previously measured. Fortunately we can push against the sides of a real van and by 20:00 we had finished loading.
After an uneventful trip we arrived at Telford around 13:30 on Friday. We got our tickets and were marshalled into the hall. 15 minutes later the van was unloaded and on its way to be parked. With most of the team of ten members together by about 14:00, as planned, assembly then started. Four and a half hours later we had finished. The longest part was assembly and levelling of the track boards. We will have to find a quick method for doing this.
For the two days of the show the layout performed without a fault. Operator error was the cause of most problems. One loco did fail as did a van having its end pulled off in public! Other than that it was compliments all the way. Most pleasing.
At the end of the show we were disassembled, packed up and loaded into the van in two and a half hours. Most of the crew then left for home leaving four members to stay overnight and bring TS back home the next day
Boards 3, 4 & 5 have been removed from the front of the layout for sorting out the the ground signals and points. We were a little enthusiastic with the ballasting and need to free them up. The wiring will also be tidied up while we have the chance. It all works, it’ll just look better. Board 5 has been completed.
Two looms will have additional wires added to them so that the status of the signals on the front of the layout can be seen on the Up and Down control panels by the operators. The operators should also be able to see the state of the front signals on the monitors by the Up and Down control panels.
Although we had set the positions of the cameras to cover the front of the layout, actually mounting one of them in the required position would be difficult. Following a re-arrangement of the end cameras to point towards the ends not towards the signal box, a committee of two decided that, after viewing the changes on the screens, the changes were successful. The cameras are also easier to mount in their new position.
Two strings of LED lights were obtained, one white and the other warm white. At £7 each they are not expensive. They were mounted in a white piece of guttering. Once we had found a suitable power supply, each 5m length uses 4A at 12V, we were able to light up part of The Summit to a reasonable level. Warm white was used in the gutter and the next try will be with a strip of white and warm white. It was also decided that what ever support and light we use that it will be usable for all other layouts in CS2.